Disappointing Beauty Products



Ahh, makeup. If there's one thing I continuously waste money on and dabble in it's the realm of makeup and beauty in general. I'm a sucker for the latest makeup launches on the high street and those of the high-end variety and I can be easily persuaded by just about anyone on YouTube about what I should be spending my hard earned cash on almost weekly. But, just sometimes, these recommendations are a downfall and rather than revealing an amazing product to me, they've actually been pretty disappointing and not worked for me at all. Somehow, despite this being an occurrence that can happen on the regular for me, I've managed to avoid doing a post about some of these said products therefore I figured today would be as good as any time to start. Some of these products are favourites for many folk but they just didn't agree with me for various reasons so let me tell you why.

L'Oréal True Match Minerals Foundation | £14.99 - A product that seems to be liked by many, the L'Oréal True Match Mineral Foundation is a product I had such high hopes for for a number of reasons. Mineral makeup is so light and breathable on the skin and the likes of Lily Lolo have been mastering the mineral makeup art for years and have been of my favourites since I was around 18. So when I initially saw this L'Oréal offering I was hyped because it was a drugstore option that was going to be a little lighter on the skin, more skin like, and just a new and different formula of foundation that I hadn't tried in a very long time. It retails for around £15 which, for the drugstore, is quite pricey. I put the price aside as you seemed to get a decent amount of product for the price point and the packaging seemed great - it comes with its own buffing brush to apply the product to the skin and despite this being a cheap freebie, it actually works really well. So, why didn't I like it? I picked up the lightest shade as I'm usually the lightest or second lightest shade (depending on the tones as I'm quite yellow toned) and oh my days it's just so dark. Upon application, it first goes on quite well, looked like it might be a good match for me, but once it settles, it oxidises so badly on my skin that my face ends up several shades darker than the rest of my skin. It's such a shame because the actual formula is beautiful so if you aren't a pale princess, check this out as it doesn't settle into the pores and gives your skin a gorgeous healthy, natural yet airbrushed look, but it's just too dark for this friendly ghost.

Bourjois Delice de Poudre Bronzing Powder | £7.99 - I have mentioned this bronzer in a post before so I won't talk about it too much, but this was such a popular product when it was released that I, like everyone else, put it on my "to-buy" list. As you can see from the photos, I did actually really try to like this bronzer - it seemed quite a good shade in the pan (especially for pale skin) as it wasn't too orange and wasn't too dark but it applies so patchy. It's a very muddy bronzer and no matter what base I have tried to use with it, it just never sits right on my skin. I've got to be honest, since ditching foundation I haven't actually picked this bronzer up again so maybe I should try it on my bare skin and see if it applies better then but overall it would not be a bronzer I'd recommend. The one good thing about it is that I've found it doesn't give a lot of kickback when you swirl your brush in it, but weirdly that's not such a good thing too as it seems to make it incredibly difficult to pick up any pigment on the brush? Yeah, either way, this bronzer is a big booger for me.



Estée Lauder Sumptuous Bold Volume Lifting Mascara 8ml | £21.OO - This next product is something I didn't actually buy but I'm so happy I didn't spend any money on it because boy oh boy would I be mega disappointed if I had. Estée Lauder are a brand who often run really great offers in which you'll get a makeup bag full of goodies to try and test out alongside your purchases. This mascara was one of the things I got in one of said freebie bags and it's so awful. I've mentioned many times before that I'm not particularly loyal when it comes to mascara and it's the one product I will continuously switch out and experiment with but drugstore always tends to win it for me and it's products like this that sway my vote. This mascara promises to volumising and lift the lashes but what actually happens is it makes my lashes stick together so I look like I have around 3 - 5 on a good day - and they look extremely thin? I don't know how to describe it but they kind of look like my lashes do when they're wet rather than looking like they've got a fresh coat of mascara on. I have quite good lashes and can often get a good volumised look no matter which mascara I use but this one just made my lashes look worse than they do naturally. The worst thing about it though was that it also irritated my eyes. My eyes are quite sensitive as it is but I noticed that my eyes were watery whenever I tried to work with this mascara so it's definitely a one for the bin!

Topshop Lips in 'Nevada' | £8.OO - Oh lordy, this lipstick - where do I start? When I first purchased this lipstick, I was a little hesitant to try it not only because the bullet snapped in two, but also because I was unsure of the colour. Compared to the shade Topshop's website and the various swatches I had looked at online, Nevada was a much paler shade than I expected but I tried to persevere with it. It all failed though and I can now categorically say I do not like this lipstick. Topshop's lipsticks and their lip bullets are some of my favourite lipsticks out there on the highstreet but this shade is just a bum shade for me. The creamy consistency and moisturising feeling I've come to love the Topshop lipsticks for just doesn't seem to work for Nevada as it makes it almost impossible to apply an even coat of it as it always goes streaky no matter how many coats you apply or if you dab it on, apply it with a brush etc. - nothing works! I've also finally come to terms with my initial suspicions and yep, this shade is just not for me and my skin tone. It is a lippy that generally gets great reviews so it obviously isn't all bad, but I know I'm not one of its fans.

Maybelline Fit Me Foundation | £7.99 and Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless Liquid Foundation | £5.99 - Okay so these next two products I've bundled together because I don't like either of them for the exact same reasons so first off, let's talk about the original Fit Me Foundation. This product was raved about all over the American beauty guru YouTube world so I was thrilled when it hit Boots. I (foolishly) ordered it online and ordered "Classic Ivory 12O" because I tend to be on the yellow side so the slightly darker ivory shades suit me better but my god what a mistake I made there. This shade is far too dark to be counted as a shade of ivory foundation and even after swatching the palest shade in store after this mishap, I can still confirm I would not be able to wear that one either as it too is too dark for me. Shade aside, I just really don't like the formula of this foundation. I absolutely *love* the concealer from the Fit Me range but the foundation is extremely thick-feeling on the face (this is coming from a girl who used to wear Estée Lauder Double Wear then Mac Studio Fix Powder on top!) and manages to make my oily skin even oilier in places yet dry and flaky too! At the same time as purchasing this, I also ordered the Matte & Poreless Liquid Foundation with the intentions of testing how both compared and differed and reviewing them on the blog. So of course, the same shade mishap was made and whilst this one does seem to have an even paler shade available than the original foundation, I still won't try that one out because this foundation made my skin feel gross too. Bearing in mind this foundation is meant to make you look matte and poreless, it actually made my skin feel tacky and sticky and it slips off the skin after 2 hours. Now, all my foundations get eaten up by my oils - even Double Wear - but this is gone after only a couple of hours and due to the horrendous colour range, it's extremely noticeable. So - can you tell I'm not a fan? I'll definitely be sticking to the concealer and pressed powder from this range only!



Rimmel Brow This Way Styling Gel | £3.99 - Before I fell in love with Sleek's Brow Kit, I would dabble in eyebrow products all of the time and after seeing great reviews for this Rimmel eyebrow gel I thought I'd give it a go. On first impressions, I was quite excited to try this gel as the shade of the dark brown option, whilst not actually dark brown in my opinion, looked quite ashy and therefore I figured it would look quite natural on my skin. But do you want to know the one and only reason I can't get on with this product? The spoolie is bloody massive! Naturally my eyebrows are pretty tiny but once I've filled them out with an eyebrow product, they become average and I thought that this gel could be the last step in my brow routine but wow, no thank you. Frida Kahlo may be an inspiration for me artistically but she can keep her brows. As the spoolie is so large, no matter how delicate and careful I am with the application, the gel ends up all over my forehead, in between my brows, sometimes even on my eyelashes! I really wanted to love this product but considering the spoolie is almost the size of a regular eyelash mascara, I just can't get behind it.

Rimmel Apocalips Matte Lip Lacquer in 'Orange-ology' | £6.49 - Rimmel is one of my favourite drugstore brands so it disheartens me to see two of their products in this post but damn, this lipstick and I do not get along. I first bought this when I was on the hunt for a bright vibrant orange lip shade and despite that being a regular shade that's available across many brands, I couldn't for the life of me find an alternative at the time. I had been intrigued to try these lip lacquers so I figured this would be killing two birds with one stone. Much like my other disappointing lip product, I find this Apocalips Lip Lacquer incredibly streaky to apply and I can never seem to get an even coat. I find the formula really thick to apply too so my lips feel uncomfortable with more than one coat. Another huge gripe I have with this product is that once you pull the applicator out of the tube, it seems to splatter product all over your surroundings and everything you love. Every time I tried to make this product work I always had to wipe it off the mirror after it had shat all over it and that's just something I could live without from my lipsticks y'know? That aside I just don't like the formula once on the lips and although it does seem to dry down eventually, it's much too sticky for my liking and reminds me of those cheap glosses we all wore as teens. Not a fan.



So that's just some of the disappointing products I seem to still have in my beauty stash. I love experimenting with makeup so I know I'm always going to come across products that don't quite float my boat but these ones have been huge letdowns for me and left me cursing myself for the wasted money and hope that they'd be great. Have you tried out any products that you really hate that others seem to enjoy using?



Follow me on Bloglovin'
Twitter & Instagram xo

Post a Comment